Dan's Hurricane and Recovery Log

Hurricane Katrina as viewed through the eyes of a rescuer who went down to help other rescuers; only to have his own ordeal during and after hurricane Rita.

Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Hurricane Ike

Hurricane Ike came ashore and did much damage in Cameron and south Calcasieu Parish. I have friend who lost her house and one who doesn't yet know. We lost many windows and storm shutters. Our outdoor kitchen was (again) trashed. Stinky marsh mud covers everything....but aside from that the new house is unfinished and intact.

I have cut all ties with my former contractor. A year to get the house to the sheetrock stage is too long. I have already paid him enough to build the entire house. I thought that he was an honorable person; I was mistaken. I'll have to deal with that aspect later. For now I have someone else finishing up. It is an expensive lesson that I will have to live with.