Dan's Hurricane and Recovery Log

Hurricane Katrina as viewed through the eyes of a rescuer who went down to help other rescuers; only to have his own ordeal during and after hurricane Rita.

Name:
Location: Reno, Nevada

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Letter to Bob

Here is a letter that I sent to a friend that I was unable to mail. Bob is on his sailboat somewhere in Mexico. The letter sums up my arrival in Louisiana.

Bob,
I have travelled back to Louisiana.

Here's the bad news: After driving over 2200 miles I found a semi-truck stuck in my road. It was the only way in or out and I couldn't drive around it to get to my place. I was unable to unpack. I have met the owner of the truck later in the day. He was hiding it from his wife while he was out with his girlfriend. I had it towed that night. Of course it damaged my road. Had my "caretaker" Ron locked the gate it wouldn't have been there. Ron wasn't to be found.....and neither was my truck.

I looked around the place. I looked in Ron's trailer. It was a mess. I looked in the shop. It was a mess also. I noticed that my nice set of tires and wheels were missing. Inside the house it looked as if no work had been done since I had left several months ago.

On the second day I made an effort to find my truck. I had talked to my friend Lance and he suggested that I call the Sheriff's office to see if it was impounded. It was.....and so was Ron. I spent the remainder of the day getting my truck back from the tow yard (for $220) and going back for a closer look at my property.

In addition to finding my tires and wheels gone I found that I was missing my brand new air compressor, and some electric hand tools were gone from the house. I spent the remainder of the day filing a stolen property report with the Sheriff's department.

On the third day I drove up to Dallas to pick up my boat and to see our friend Ken and his wife. Everything was going great. I got the boat and Ken and I were eating some really good barbecue. I started to tell Ken about the barbecue that I was going to cook in at our new house.....when I realized that my beautiful Komodo barbecue had also been stolen.....

This is being written on the morning of the forth day. I am going to drive back to Lake Charles very (very) carefully!

The cost of being on your boat in Mexico: priceless!

Dan